Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Decisions....Decisions

A few months ago I decided to make a few informational videos in order to support my speaking career. After talking with a friend, I determined that there was a piece of software that would allow me to do exactly what was needed, but it required a minimum of 1 GB memory to install properly.

There was 512 MB currently installed on my Windows-based laptop and it was expandable to a maximum of 1 GB. So as I saw it I had a decision to make. I could either upgrade the memory on my current laptop or purchase a new one where I can install 2 or even 4 GB of memory. I decided to purchase a new one.

The question then became whether I should purchase another Windows-based laptop or an Apple MacBook Pro? Understand that in my entire life I probably have no more than 10 min. worth of keyboard time utilizing any Apple computer. However, my research led me to believe that I could accomplish my objectives easier utilizing the MacBook Pro. As a result I made the plunge and took a bite of the Apple (get the joke?).

This decision required that I be totally committed to make this purchase work for me. In making this decision it occurred to me that I utilized a fundamental decision making process. The steps to this process are:

  1. Completely understand your environment and the need to make a change.
  2. Make a list of possible solutions that will meet your need.
  3. List the pros and cons associated with each solution. You do not have to solve the problems at this stage, just itemize them.
  4. Make a decision and commit to it.
  5. Solve the problems related to your decision as they occur.

This process can be used in either organizations or life in general. I find it beneficial when my life starts to get out of control. This normally happens when I get so distracted by what's going on around me that I start reacting to life. During these times I usually stop listening to my internal navigation system which quietly tries to direct me towards my life's goals and purpose. I have found that my life simply works better when I live in a manner that keeps me connected with my internal GPS.

If you are in an organization, your internal GPS is probably your organization's mission statement. If you don't have one, get one! Review it on a regular basis in order to make sure it is relevant. I have found that organizations can easily falter or get off track when they perform activities or make decisions not related to their mission statement.

Just in case you were wondering, this is my 1st blog created using the MacBook Pro. It was not an easy road, but then nothing really worthwhile ever is. In summary, from time to time, it is important we evaluate our lives and organizations in order to determine if we are moving in the direction of our goals or purpose. If not, please use some form of the decision-making process identified above to make necessary changes.

No comments: